Saturday, May 29, 2010

PADDLING

Just got back from a killer paddling session with my boss and his friends down at sand island and I have to say--I'm really bummed. Now to the list of things I love to do--of my surfing, fishing, diving, swimming, biking, hiking, waterfall seeking and jumping, ka--ra--tae, crabbing, and cooking, and other stuff too, I must add a new passion. Paddling. How am I going to find the time to do all this rad stuff! Luckily I live in Hawaii now, where it's actually kind of possible.

There's nothing like paddling in a six man canoe--when you get up with a good crew of guys, and or girls, and get out there and just put your heads down and find a rhythm. The boat just glides so smooth--I become so focused on my technique, on making good, short, powerful strokes, on switching fast and accurately, on getting in sync with those in front of me, or behind me depending on what seat I have--eventually sometimes just for brief moments, sometimes for longer, the boat and crew becomes one, and the glide gets big and bright and in rhythm with something very big, a pace that never stops... It's a good feeling to have.

Now I'm home and checking out some paddling videos online--this one's pretty fun--just a bunch of haole guys not taking themselves too seriously, but who have all probably been paddling for years. Unreal steersman. Sorry that it's kind of a Patagonia add... it's still a cool video. Check em...