Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Summer?

Summer is over. Where did it go? It left without saying goodbye, no? In any case the summer was a good one, a new one, for me. A summer spent outside the comfort zone of my usual doings--my usual wanderings--a summer spent in the sun, reading the Atlantic like a book and people-watching a people from another time and another place.

And I regret not meeting those people, not knowing those who came to graze in the little summer waves with their suspenders, cigars, cigarettes, aqua socks, sun-blocks, beach balls, and boogie woogie boards. How peculiar these people became to me as I watched them day after hot summer day, occasionally jumping down and running out into the water to pull one of their little ones out of a rip by the scruff of their neck, all the while their parents, back-beach, obliviously smoked cigarettes and ate ham sandwiches--ham sandwiches--baking themselves like chocolate chip cookies these people approached the water with a style so bizarre to me that I became fascinated with it.

I was amazed, and eventually envious at how much joy they could find in the smallest pulse of a wave as they would hop on with their boogie woogie board stretched way out in front of them always dragging their bodies like anchors end up on the sand in front of the stand like a shiny seals smiling and laughing and using archaic expressions like, "yahoo," or ,"by golly that was a hoot!" They had so much fun, these people from a different land, almost as if they were from a different time, from a time when people would wear britches in the water and use cameras that popped and shot smoke to make photos.

But now its over, what an experience, I feel like I've learned a lot, but what I value most from this life-guarding experience is the sense of having accomplished something I set out to do, the challenge I did not back away from, and the friends I made along the way. I know that sounds sentimental and perhaps a little fluffy, but I met some really cool people up there on that stand.

Ok so now I'm off too HI, but not before one last east coast adventure, I have a meeting this friday somewhere south of here with a new client named Igor... Stay tuned for an Igor hunting road trip video. After that It's off to Oahu where Cavebrother is holding it down, studying hard, surfing when he can, and occasionally spending some time with his newest passion, the guitar.

Check em one new movie, Adam on da guitar while I catch a wave at leftovers last spring...

Enjoy